Reef IQ? Play our new game
Reef Check's E-News
Reef Check Membership
Join the Reef Check Australia family. Sign up as a member (FREE) to participate in RCA programs.
Who are we?
Reef Check Australia believes in protecting reefs and oceans by empowering people. We are an innovative environmental charity dedicated to building community capacity to understand, appreciate and protect oceans.
Our three core activities are:
- INSPIRING reef-minded people: We connect people with reef science by providing an unbiased source of accessible, meaningful and accurate information about reef health.
- ENGAGING volunteers in reef health monitoring: We foster best-practice reef citizen science programs by providing our volunteers with the training, resources and networks to collect and share globally-standardised reef health data for science and management.
- EMPOWERING local conservation action for the Reef: We create opportunities for people and communities to identify how they can help tackle reef health issues with local on-ground action through knowledge, tools, resources and support.
- BUILDING a strong RCA: We strive for excellence with innovative financial, program and governance models that deliver best value for our network.
Reef Check Australia is a citizen science organisation. Our primary purpose is to facilitate public participation in meaningful marine monitoring. We empower individuals and communities to support sustainable healthy reefs. Our work supports the principles listed below.
1. We believe in volunteers. RCA is an inclusive, citizen science organisation. Our primary purpose is to engage volunteers in hands-on reef research, education and practical conservation.
2. In science we trust. Our volunteers collect robust citizen science data for reef research, education and management. We support and promote environmental initiatives with proven benefits for reef health, but we are not a political or advocacy group.
3. We are optimistic. Our approach focuses on what can be done rather than what cannot. Our messaging is positive and we aspire to inspire locally-based action driven by the vision of individuals and communities.
4. We strive for excellence. We continually seek to learn and quest to enhance our positive impact.
5. We think collaboration multiplies results. We partner with other organisations on projects with practical on-ground marine outcomes.
6. We help people help reefs. We know that individuals and communities armed with the necessary skills, knowledge and support can drive positive change for our reefs.
Want to know what we got up to in 2016?
And the future?
We're proud of our accomplishemnts, but always looking to do more. Our valued sponsors and industry supporters make our work possible but we need to do more. Your generous donations and new commercial partnerships can help bring even more successful projects to life.
Get involved today, and make a real difference!