Reef IQ? Play our new game
Reef Check’s E-News
"Reef Check Australia has an impressive record of commitment to coral reef conservation. It provides an important avenue for meaningful community involvement in coral reef issues, monitoring, and conservation at both local and regional levels. Its track record reassures me that your ongoing support will be rewarded in very positive outcomes for the reef, and for all people who care about it." Dr. Terry Done, Scientist | Coral Reefs; Associate | Australian Institute of Marine Science
Reef Check Australia is a citizen science organisation. Our primary purpose is to facilitate public participation in meaningful marine monitoring. We empower individuals and communities to support sustainable healthy reefs. Our work supports the principles listed below.
1. We believe in volunteers. RCA is an inclusive, citizen science organisation supporting volunteers in hands-on reef research, education and practical conservation. All community members are welcome to join in understanding and saving our reefs.
2. Our data is for everyone. We are an environmental charity collecting scientific data appropriate for marine experts, reef managers and general public.
3. In science we trust. We support and promote environmental initiatives with proven benefits for reef health, but we are not an advocacy group. We are not aligned with nor do we endorse any political party or position.
4. We strive for excellence. We are an established not for profit organisation with a clear governance structure, a proven track record and large volunteer membership base.
5. We are optimistic. Our approach focuses on what can be done rather than what cannot. Our messaging is positive and we aspire to inspire locally-based action driven by the vision of individuals and communities.
6. We think collaboration multiplies results. We partner with other organisations on projects with practical on-ground marine outcomes. This does not mean that RCA endorses the media statements or policies of such organisations.
Hoping to find out more about what who we are and what we do? Check out our 2011-2012 Annual Report.
Awards & Commendations
2011 Finalist for the Healthy Waterways Brisbane Airport Community Award for Community-based monitoring and protection of South East Queensland's rocky reefs
2010 Finalist for the Healthy Waterways Brisbane Airport Community Award for Community-based monitoring and protection of coral habitats in South East Queensland
2009 Queensland Multimedia Awards for the Reef IQ game
2009 Finalist for the Banksia Awards Water Category
2009 Reef Check Australia and Townsville Recycling Centre Environmental Excellence and Sustainability Awards: Sustainability in Community Group Award for Reef Recycling Workshops for Young People
2006 Environmental Excellence & Sustainability Awards, Community Group Award for Coral Reef Monitoring & Volunteer Program
2005 Queensland Landcare Encouragement Award for excellence in Coast Health Monitoring
And the future?
We're proud of our accomplishemnts, but always looking to do more. Our valued sponsors and industry supporters make our work possible but we need to do more. Your generous donations and new commercial partnerships can help bring even more successful projects to life.
Get involved today, and make a real difference!