Reef IQ? Play our new game
Reef Check's E-News
Reef Check Membership
Join the Reef Check Australia family. Sign up as a member (FREE) to participate in RCA programs.
"Reef Check Australia has an impressive record of commitment to coral reef conservation. It provides an important avenue for meaningful community involvement in coral reef issues, monitoring, and conservation at both local and regional levels. Its track record reassures me that your ongoing support will be rewarded in very positive outcomes for the reef, and for all people who care about it." Dr. Terry Done, Scientist | Coral Reefs; Associate | Australian Institute of Marine Science
Who are we?
Reef Check Foundation Ltd (trading as Reef Check Australia) is a registered Australian Charity with Tax Deductible Gift Recipient Status and is listed on the Register of Environmental Organisations.
Reef Check Australia believes in protecting reefs and oceans by empowering people. We are an innovative environmental charity dedicated to protecting Australia's reefs and oceans by engaging the community in hands-on research and education. Since 2001, our teams have contributed to a worldwide network of trained volunteers that regularly monitor and report on reef health in more than 90 countries using the standardised Reef Check scientific method. We also offer educational programs that help people understand the importance of reef monitoring and conservation and how they can actively participate.
Reef Check Australia is a citizen science organisation. Our primary purpose is to facilitate public participation in meaningful marine monitoring. We empower individuals and communities to support sustainable healthy reefs. Our work supports the principles listed below.
1. We believe in volunteers. RCA is an inclusive, citizen science organisation supporting volunteers in hands-on reef research, education and practical conservation. All community members are welcome to join in understanding and saving our reefs.
2. Our data is for everyone. We are an environmental charity collecting scientific data appropriate for marine experts, reef managers and general public.
3. In science we trust. We support and promote environmental initiatives with proven benefits for reef health, but we are not an advocacy group. We are not aligned with nor do we endorse any political party or position.
4. We strive for excellence. We are an established not for profit organisation with a clear governance structure, a proven track record and large volunteer membership base.
5. We are optimistic. Our approach focuses on what can be done rather than what cannot. Our messaging is positive and we aspire to inspire locally-based action driven by the vision of individuals and communities.
6. We think collaboration multiplies results. We partner with other organisations on projects with practical on-ground marine outcomes. This does not mean that RCA endorses the media statements or policies of such organisations.
Hoping to find out more about what who we are and what we do? Check out our 2012-2013 Annual Report.
Awards & Commendations
2014 Sunshine Coast Australia Day Environment Award winner
2014 Peter Doherty Awards 2014 -- Science Education Partnership Award
2014 Finalist for Queensland Regional Achievement and Community Award for The Peabody Environment and Landcare Award
2011 Finalist for the Healthy Waterways Brisbane Airport Community Award for Community-based monitoring and protection of South East Queensland's rocky reefs
2010 Finalist for the Healthy Waterways Brisbane Airport Community Award for Community-based monitoring and protection of coral habitats in South East Queensland
2009 Queensland Multimedia Awards for the Reef IQ game
2009 Finalist for the Banksia Awards Water Category
2009 Reef Check Australia and Townsville Recycling Centre Environmental Excellence and Sustainability Awards: Sustainability in Community Group Award for Reef Recycling Workshops for Young People
2006 Environmental Excellence & Sustainability Awards, Community Group Award for Coral Reef Monitoring & Volunteer Program
2005 Queensland Landcare Encouragement Award for excellence in Coast Health Monitoring
And the future?
We're proud of our accomplishemnts, but always looking to do more. Our valued sponsors and industry supporters make our work possible but we need to do more. Your generous donations and new commercial partnerships can help bring even more successful projects to life.
Get involved today, and make a real difference!