Reef Check's E-News
Reef Check Membership
Join the Reef Check Australia family. Sign up as a member (FREE) to participate in RCA programs.
Reef Check in SEQ
South East Queensland (SEQ) is a transitional area where tropical, sub-tropical and temperate species all exist within the same habitat area. With pressures from a rapidly growing population, sedimentation from catchments, coastal development and cliamte change, this transitional area is gaining recognition as an important area to study and protect.
Our volunteer monitoring activities provide valuable information where there is currently a serious gap in the data; many of the sites Reef Check visits annually do not have regular long-term monitoring programs. Reef Check monitors more than 20 locations across the Sunshine Coast, Moreton Bay/Quandamooka and the Gold Coast.
You might be surprised about the amazing coral communities than can be found along the SEQ coast.
Reef Check's regional history
Following the success of our flagship GBR project, Reef Check Australia's South East Queensland (SEQ) project was established in 2007 to monitor subtropical reef sites between the Gold Coast, Brisbane area and the Sunshine Coast.
Key news stories
- Moreton Bay citizen scientists commended by Mission Blue (Dec 2016)
- Moreton Bay declared a Hope Spot! (Sept 2016)
- Totally Wild (Oct 2015)
- Indigenous owners survey Bay's reefs (May 2014)
- Beach clean up for baby turtles (Feb 2014)
- Divers take to the sea for Amity clean up (March 2013)
- SCOPE episode: REEFSearch and Citizen Science (2013)
You can get involved too! Learn, explore, appreciate and protect the unique reefs on your doorstep.
- Be a REEFSearcher
- Check out our SEQ infographic
- Follow us on Facebook or Instagram
- Become a surveyor (August-Feb annually)
- Help in the office or at events
- Donate to support our programs
- Invite one of our Reef Check Ambassadors to participate at your event!
The 2016-2017 SEQ Survey Season is supported by funding through Queensland Government's Everyone's Environment Grants, Healthy Waterways, Redland City Council and Sunshine Coast Council Environment Levy Partnership Grants.
- Nautilus Scuba SUPERCAT
- Point Lookout Scuba Diving Charters
- Scuba World
- Go Dive Brisbane
- Manta Lodge & Scuba Centre
- Sunreef Scuba Diving Services
- Gold Coast Divers
- Cooly Dive
- Gold Coast Marine Training